As the summer wanes and my zucchini crop dwindles I like to tuck in one last zucchini treat into my family meals, zucchini soup. This recipe is quick and easy, and relatively low calorie as it uses a roux as a thickener instead of cream…but you could certainly make it with cream or half and half. Since it is served cold you will need to make it early in the day so that it is ready at mealtime. Serves 4.
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (canned is fine)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups unpeeled cut zucchini
dash of nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter/margarine
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoons salt
dash of white pepper
1 cup milk
1. Cook the onion, zucchini, and nutmeg in chicken broth for 5 minutes.
2. Place half the vegetable mixture in a blender and blend 30-60 seconds until smooth. Repeat with the other half of the vegetable mixture.
3. Melt the butter/margarine in a saucepan and blend in the flour, salt, and pepper.
4. Add the milk all at once.
5. Cook until thick.
6. Add the blended vegetable mixture.