When you have lots of eggplant and want a new way to serve it try this eggplant caviar. It is easy to make and requires ingredients that you may have in your garden or are easy to buy. It is delicious as an hors d’oeuvres served with pumpernickel and rye cocktail breads.
1 medium eggplant
½ cup chopped onion
1 clove of garlic crushed
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 fresh tomato, peeled and chopped
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons vinegar or dry white wine
(1 teaspoon sugar if vinegar used)
4 tablespoon chopped parsley
1. Bake the eggplant at 400 degrees until soft (about 30 minutes).
2. Cool and peel
3. Chop the eggplant.
4. Saute the onion, garlic, and pepper in olive oil until tender but not brown.
5. Add the eggplant to the vegetables in step 4.
6. Add the chopped tomato to the vegetables and eggplant mixture.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Add vinegar or white wine.
9. Add sugar if vinegar was used.
10. Cook on low until the mixture is fairly thick.
11. Cool and refrigerate until serving time.
12. Garnish with chopped parsley.